HANNAH Gadsby’s Netflix special Nanette has launched the comedian to international acclaim.
But while the streaming service shows Gadsby’s comedy set at the Sydney Opera House, in reality she performed Nanette more than 200 times.
Honing the confronting material through several hundred performances was no easy task, with Gadsby having to contend with hecklers who were unhappy with Nanette’s darker content.
The comedian even once backed out of the show because she was afraid of the audience.
“There was one show, I did, though, that I didn’t do it. It was billed to be Nanette and I didn’t do it, and that was in Cairns,” Gadsby told Tuesday’s episode of The Project.
“I went up and just sort of started doing the show and I just heard a bit too much rarrr, it was a rumble — they weren’t unhappy.
“I thought this could turn, I got scared and didn’t do it. I just did the classics, the greatest hits and told a story about getting stuck on a water slide, Cairns will like that.”
The comedian also admitted she had “lost control” at one male heckler during a show in Perth.
“It was not funny and I lost control of myself,” Gadsby admitted. “But I was, you know, really angry and, because I had just been really vulnerable, I had talked about really personal trauma and this guy goes, ‘I think you got it wrong there’.”
To Gadsby’s surprise, her take-down of the heckler got a positive reaction from the women in the audience.
“It didn’t feel good to be just yelling at this man, but I did get a lot of messages back from that show from women going, ‘I had never seen a man get put back in his place like that, thank you,’” she said.
Originally published as ‘I got scared’: Nanette moment audiences didn’t see
KHLOE Kardashian and Tristan Thompson are turning to a professional to help them work out their issues.
Lisa Stanley, a longtime friend of Kris Jenner, opened up about the couple’s relationship following Thompson’s cheating scandal in April days before their daughter was born, saying Khloé would never leave him, Page Six reports.
“She doesn’t want to look a fool. She was a fool once with Lamar [Odom], and she didn’t want to do it again,” Stanley told KIIS FM’s Celeb HQ on Monday.
To help move on from the scandal, they’ve sought out couples therapy.
“One thousand percent they are working through couples therapy. She’s working hard, he’s working hard,” she shared. “You can’t just earn trust back in two months.”
Khloé previously said she was proud of herself for being able to try to re-establish a rapport with the father of her daughter, True.
“You have no knowledge of what goes on in our household or the enormous rebuilding this takes to even coexist,” Khloé clapped back at a fan who criticized her for staying with the NBA player. “I’m proud of my strength.”
Although Khloé’s family wanted her to leave Thompson, Stanley said that would never happen.
“Khloé was always going to try and make this work, for a plethora of reasons. The first reason is she has a child now, and she feels very connected to [Tristan] in that way,” she said. “The second reason is she loves him. She clearly loves the man.”
Jenner did not immediately return a request for comment.
This story first appeared in the New York Post and has been republished here with permission.
Originally published as Khloe and Tristan ‘in couples therapy’
SHE’S certainly happy to show off her body, but it was still hard not to worry Kim Kardashian West was in danger of a serious wardrobe malfunction during a recent public appearance.
The reality star and businesswoman appeared at Beautycon in Los Angeles on Sunday clad in a plunging black crop top together with an unusual matching skirt / shorts combo.
As she walked the red carpet and posed for photographers, the outfit looked immaculate:
But it was another matter entirely when she took to the stage to discuss her cosmetics and beauty secrets.
Chatting to the host on stage, Kim seemed oblivious to her strapless top’s southward journey — and she seemed in danger of ending up entirely topless at any moment:
Kim’s little sister Kylie Jenner hit the headlines last week when Forbes Magazine tipped her to become the youngest-ever US dollar billionaire within the next year. It’s lead to speculation Jenner is “silently eclipsing her most famous sibling.”
Nothing a well-timed onstage near-wardrobe malfunction can’t fix …
Originally published as Kim K risks wardrobe malfunction in shocking outfit
MADONNA has shared a sweet snap with all six of her children as the family visit Malawi.
The Queen of Pop and her brood returned to the African country so close to her heart to mark the first anniversary of the Mercy James Centre, The Sun reports.
Madonna, 59, had opened the children’s hospital wing in July last year, after her Raising Malawi charity helped build it.
The star named the paediatric facility after her 12-year-old daughter, who she adopted from the country in 2009.
Her little girl joined her famous mother at the centre alongside her older siblings Lourdes, 21, Rocco, 17, David Banda, 12, and five-year-old twins Estere and Stelle.
The Material Girl adopted David from Malawi in 2006 and welcomed her twin girls from the same country last year.
Wearing a patterned dress and white fedora hat, Madonna stood in the middle of her brood, with David on one side and Mercy on the other.
Meanwhile Rocco — from her marriage to film director Guy Ritchie, draped an arm around Mercy’s neck, while Lourdes, from her relationship with Carlos Leon, leaned against David.
Then the adorable twins — in matching dresses and yellow cardigans — stood in front of their elder siblings, with David tenderly holding the shoulders of one of his sisters.
As the family stood in front of a wall decorated with a tree and colourful birds including a toucan, Madonna captioned the shot: “Tree of Life….. Mercy James Paediatric Hospital! One Year Later! #everythingislove #malawi art work by @jacarandaschoolfororphans”.
This story originally appeared on The Sun and is republished here with permission.
Originally published as Madonna shares rare photo with her six kids
ANNABELLE Neilson — the aristocratic “wild child” best friend of Kate Moss, one-time Alexander McQueen muse and star of reality show Ladies of London — has died at 49.
Her death was the talk of international social circles over the weekend — as friends had just seen Neilson at the lavish wedding of her ex-boyfriend, Lord Edward Spencer-Churchill, to Kimberly Hammerstroem at Blenheim Palace.
Sources said Neilson, who was once briefly married to blue blood Nat Rothschild, died on Thursday night. But bizarrely, Neilson’s Instagram was active on Saturday — confusing even her close friends who heard the bad news. “Annabelle is that you?” posted Neilson’s former Ladies of London co-star Marissa Hermer as rumours of her death spread, but a jokey post of a man in a pool popped up with the caption, “Fatties get in first!”
Another friend privately, hopefully, wondered to Page Six if it was all an elaborate hoax. But by Monday multiple reports surfaced that she’d passed away. No cause of death was revealed. A London police rep confirmed that police responded Thursday night to a report of a woman found deceased at an address matching a Neilson family home.
Sources told Page Six that Neilson seemed distracted at the Spencer-Churchill wedding. In addition to the posthumous Instagram post, a number of darker posts from Neilson’s feed were removed on Saturday — including a recent severe black-and-white selfie with the caption, “my current state of mind” — to which a follower commented, “There may be no colour right now but it will come again. Don’t rush or force it and take care of yourself, you’re very much worth it.” A source told us that someone edited the feed after her death, and said she was found by a family member.
Multiple calls to Annabelle’s sister, Millie, were not returned. A rep for Bravo, the network who produced Ladies of London, also did not respond to a request for comment.
A profile in the British Telegraph in 2008 said, “Miss Neilson’s extrovert personality is not limited to the party scene, she also flies helicopters, swims with sharks, has ridden a motorbike across Australia and competed in a rally across the Himalayas during winter.”
This story originally appeared on the New York Post and is republished here with permission.
Originally published as Bizarre twist in socialite’s tragic death
AUSTRALIAN model Nicole Trunfio was in no rush to regain her post-baby body, saying she refused to bow to pressure.
US-based Trunfio, 32, is back Down Under, travelling with her baby daughter, Gia, and has been breastfeeding on set. “Girls trip!,” she laughed.
“It’s been six months since I had Gia, and I’ve just started getting back to work,” Trunfio said today.
“I haven’t put pressure on myself, I didn’t work out for four months.”
Perth-raised Trunfio, who has two kids with musician Gary Clark Jr, credits barre – an intense, battle-style workout – yoga and walking for her fit frame.
“I didn’t workout with the intention of getting back into modelling,” she said.
“I worked out with the intention of being mentally healthy, my body strong and fit so I could be a great mother.
“I’m back in shape and I have my own personal goals I want to get back to. I think every woman can relate — it’s really hard after having a baby. We should just all be supportive of each other.”
Trunfio is the new face of Victorian luxury shopping centre, Chadstone. Gia has been on set “at all times” as Trunfio shoots the retail precinct’s new season campaign, and Trunfio has been breastfeeding in between shoots.
“She’s been on set at all times,” Trunfio said. “It’s really amazing to be a women in the world at the moment and to be a working mother.”
The statuesque brunette, who has strutted the runway for Versace and Gucci, appeared on the cover of Elle magazine, breastfeeding her then-newborn son, Zion, in 2015.
“I was on set feeding him all day, and I happened to have this outfit on, and it just fell so beautifully,” she said.
Trunfio’s approach to her career has changed since she became a mother.
“It’s prioritising and simplifying, doing things that make sense as a mother and make sense for my family, working smarter — not more,” Trunfio said.
“And really planning for the future.”
Trunfio and Clark, who tied the knot in a Coachella-themed wedding in Byron Bay last year, split their time between Texas, where they live on a ranch, and Los Angeles.
“I just spent a month there. There’s definitely no paparazzi in Texas,” Trunfio laughed.
“I have lots of friends in LA and it’s closer to Australia.
“I love the ease of being able to workout, order Postmates (American equivalent of Uber Eats). I live on a ranch (in Texas), so it’s not easy to (order) food and just pop to the gym.”
While Trunfio’s career began pre-Instagram, she said social media was now an important tool for her career.
“There was no internet when I started out,” Trunfio said.
“I’d get my daily schedule via fax machine. There wasn’t wifi and you couldn’t type in a web address and go roaming on the internet. It has changed a lot.
“When I was doing shows for Versace, Gucci, Tom Ford, they’re not available online like they are today. It’s such a different world.”
Nicole Trunfio is the face of Chadstone Shopping Centre.
Originally published as Why Nicole isn’t bowing to pressure
Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you will know that at least three major news events occurred over the past week.
The 12 boys from the Thailand soccer team, along with their coach, were successfully rescued from a cave they’d been trapped in for two weeks. France won the 2018 FIFA World Cup. And Cardi B memes are running rampant all over the internet.
Someone recently shared a picture of Cardi B (real name: Belcalis Marlenis Almanzar) as a child, and as Twitter is wont to do, they turned it into a hilarious meme, pointing out Baby Belcalis’ “tattle tale” stance and combining it with the phrase “my mama said…”
Perhaps the funniest part of the meme is that we all know a little smart azz child who doesn’t mind putting your business out there. Hell, some of us were that annoying, smart-mouthed kid. But the captions are what really set this meme off. Combine that with the thought of Cardi B’s voice as a tiny tot and you have the perfect recipe for pure hilarity.
JOHNNY Depp has reached a settlement in a legal battle with his former managers, just before a trial was set to begin next month, according to reports.
The terms of the settlement agreement are confidential.
“Johnny Depp is pleased to have achieved a settlement agreement with The Management Group following the legal action he took against the company in January 2017,” a rep for the Hollywood actor told Fox News.
“The lawsuit taken out against The Management Group — and the subsequent settlement — is a further demonstration that Johnny is determined to take firm action to protect his personal and artistic reputation in the interests of his family and his career.
“Following the settlement, Johnny is pleased to be able to revert his full attention to his ongoing artistic endeavours, notably the second leg of the sold-out Hollywood Vampires global tour and the exciting launch of JK Rowling’s Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes Of Grindelwald, which will be released in theatres in November this year.
“Johnny extends his most sincere thanks and appreciation to the true supporters that have shown their loyalty to both him and his family over recent years.”
MORE: What Johnny Depp actually spent $880 million on
MORE: Johnny Depp shockingly thin and gaunt on tour
The 55-year-old sued The Management Group in January 2017, accusing the company of fraud, theft and malfeasance in its mismanagement of his business and financial interests. At the time, Depp was reportedly seeking $US25 million ($A34 million) in damages.
But The Management Group, led by Joel and Robert Mandel, filed a countersuit, alleging the star was the one who was recklessly spending his own money on extravagances, including $US30,000 ($A40,000) a month just for wine, as well as a sound engineer who was allegedly hired to feed him lines while filming, so he wouldn’t have to memorise them.
The lawsuit also alleged Depp spent $US3 million ($A4 million) to have the ashes of his friend, journalist Hunter S. Thompson, blasted out from a cannon in Aspen, Colorado, following his death in 2005.
The trial was initially scheduled for August 15. However, Variety noted the two sides had a successful mediation over the weekend with Peter Lichtman, a retired judge who served as an arbitrator.
The publication added Depp still has a pending suit against his former lawyer Jake Bloom, whom he accused of malpractice.
Back in June, Rolling Stone pointed out that Depp has made $US650 million ($A877 million) on films that netted $US3.6 billion ($A4.8 billion) but “almost all of it is gone”.
Depp told the magazine he doesn’t deny having the sound engineer on his payroll, but only so that he can play him specific sounds, allowing the actor to convey emotions with his eyes while shooting.
“I’ve got bagpipes, a baby crying and bombs going off,” explained Depp. “It creates a truth. Some of my biggest heroes were in silent film … It had to be behind the eyes. And my feeling is, that if there’s no truth behind the eyes, doesn’t matter what the f***ing words are.”
Depp also said he splurged on wine and that the reported figures are actually way less.
“It’s insulting to say I spent $30,000 ($A40,000) on wine,” he scoffed. “Because it was far more.”
Depp, who played Thompson in the 1998 film Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, also said the reported figure for the cannon blast is low.
“By the way, it was not $3 million ($A4 million) to shoot Hunter into the f***ing sky,” he said. “It was $5 million ($A6.7 million).”
Depp did reveal he worried how his financial woes would impact his children, 19-year-old Lily-Rose and 16-year-old Jack.
“My son had to hear about how his old man lost all his money from kids at school. That’s not right,” said an emotional Depp.
Unable to “take the pain,” Depp immersed himself in music and went on tour with his band, the Hollywood Vampires. He also found inspiration from his friend Thompson and began writing his memoirs on an old typewriter.
“I poured myself a vodka in the morning and started writing until the tears filled my eyes and I couldn’t see the pages anymore,” he said. “I kept trying to figure out what I’d done to deserve this. I tried being kind to everyone, helping everyone, being truthful to everyone … The truth is most important to me. And all of this still happened.”
This story originally appeared in Fox News and is republished here with permission.
Originally published as Depp settles $25m lawsuit against ex-managers
Police have arrested a second suspect in XXXTentacion’s murder case.
22-year-old Michael Boatwright was arrested on an unrelated drug charge on Thursday, July 5th, and while he was in jail, he was served with a warrant on Tuesday, July 10th for first-degree murder.
According to court docs, when Boatwright was pulled over on July 5th for tinted windows, officers smelled marijuana and then discovered 6 grams of crack cocaine in his pocket.
Boatwright’s arrest record shows that, in addition to the murder charge, Boatwright is being held on charges of cannabis possession, possession of cocaine with intent to sell, manufacture or deliver, possession of the drug flakka, battery on a specified employee, resisting/obstruction without violence, and probation violation, among other charges. He’s being held without bond and it wasn’t immediately clear whether he had obtained legal representation.
XXXTentacion was shot and killed outside of a motorcycle dealership in Broward County, Florida on June 18th. According to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, Michael Boatwright is one of the two armed suspects who confronted the rapper outside Riva Motorsports before he was gunned down. Police believe four people in total were involved.
22-year-old Robert Allen was also identified by investigators as a person of interest in connection with the killing of the 20-year-old rapper after he was spotted on surveillance video at the motorcycle in Pompano Beach were XXX was shopping before he was murdered. Allen is still wanted, along with another unnamed suspect.
Boatwright’s arrest came a few weeks after 22-year-old Dedrick Williams was arrested and booked for first-degree murder, however, police have said that he is not one of the men who actually shot XXXTentacion.